Saturday, June 25, 2011

Samuel L Jackson



I kid you not! I had to look twice to make sure that it wasn't really Mr Jackson examining me for the neonatal OSCE. It wasn't. Haha


"Demonstrate the MORO reflex" said the Samuel L Jackson lookalike.

The MORO Reflex


It involves literally 'dropping' the baby, eliciting a 'parachute-like' posture. It is a clinical exam used to assess the baby’s neurogical reflexes. Oh, and after you drop the baby, you're expected to catch it.

It’s one of those pass-fail parameters used to check if one has ‘been around’ in the wards. Anyone who drops the baby immediately fails the exam.

I felt strangely confident as I took my time to position my arm right beneath the 12 hour baby girl. She didn’t even have a name yet. Deep breaths.

I lifted her head. Then her back followed.

It lasted less than 2 seconds. I caught her in my right arm (not as dramatic as it seems). Both her arms flailed out immediately. Textbook moro reflex.

"Perfect, that was good technique you showed there" said Samuel.

I lived to fight another day...

No comments:

Post a Comment