Saturday, June 25, 2011

Labour Day


I barely arrived at the Coombe, when a lady had already achieved full dilatation. Within minutes, I was in my scrubs and ushered into delivery suite 6.

Then the screams began. I felt my nails dig deep into my arms as Liz pushed with all her might. Then it stopped. She calmed down as the contractions subsided. So did I.

She was in stage two of labour and was expected to have a normal vaginal delivery.

The contractions continued on for at least half an hour. Then I saw the head. Then the shoulder. Within minutes, a baby girl was born. She weighed 7pounds 6oz and was a healthy baby.

There was minor bleeding. The mother was fine. My arms were slightly scratched due to the pressure from my own fingernails. Again, the mother was fine. I think I bled more than she did.

The whole process was intense. Throughout the pushing stage, I found myself pushing as well, almost willing the mother to push harder. Each time the baby's head surfaced, it disappeared right after the contraction stopped.

By the end of it all I had the urge to go poop from all the pushing. Lol

The parents were absolutely delighted with their new kid. I’ve heard stories on how it is such an emotional experience. Mmeh.

I honestly felt nothing. I guess at this stage, I’m just totally dead inside. The stress of this wretched year was really taking toll on me. Plus it was midnight and I had just started my shift. Happy days...

No comments:

Post a Comment