Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Bimbos & Bones

“What is the name of the gene that causes FAP?” asked the “bimbo”

“I can’t remember?” I gulped.

This would be the second time I failed to answer her question.

“What do you mean you CAN’T remember!? Did you ever know the answer?” she asked condescendingly.

For a moment I thought I saw a flash of red in her eyes.

“Errr, I did read about it, but I still can’t remember,” I was fumbling to find words.

“You read about it. And you can’t remember. What’s the point then? That means you didn’t LEARN it. You READ it. There’s a big difference!” she rattled on.

I vow never to forget the gene that causes FAP. The APC gene on chromosome 5.

I was still having palpitations as she left the room. The Bimbo wasn’t someone to mess around with. Not even Hermione escaped her wrath.

I’ve got to start studying!

......

Orthopaedics

The next two week’s will be spent in The National Orthopaedic Hospital, Cappagh, situated about an hour and a half from where I live.

I actually like orthopaedics. I don’t know why. It seems so simple and straight forward. And it involves a lot of anatomy which I excelled at during my pre-clinical years.

Even the ortho lecturers joke about how they’re regarded as thick and brutal

What's the difference between a rhinoceros and an orthopaedic surgeon?

One's thick-skinned, small-brained and charges a lot for no very good reason....the other's a rhinoceros.

This might just be the job for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment