Thursday, April 22, 2010

Up your Janus

“Tom isn’t here today. So you’ll be my intern,” said Janus in his usual monotonous voice.

I don’t hate him. I really don’t.

Mrs BH was reluctant to let us all examine her. Aimee was up first.

“Examine her cardiovascular system,” ordered Janus.

Next up was Amira.

“Examine her abdomen,” again in that monotonous Polish accent.

Amira didn’t do too well. Her voice was too slow.

“Hijaz, examine her thyroid gland,”

Shoot. Of all the systems. I looked at Aimee. There was sympathy in her eyes. My mind went blank.

I walked up to the patient and started feeling her neck for lumps. And then I stopped. I ran out of ideas. I didn’t want to shoot blindly.

“Are you done?” asked Janus.

“Yeah I’m done,” I reluctantly answered.

“You did very well,” as Janus pointed to Aimee.

“You need to speak up more, but otherwise good,” addressing Amira.

“And you...you were the worse. I would’ve failed you,” he said unblinkingly.

There you have it. I felt like burying my head in the toilet bowl. Coupled with my bad OSCE results, things have suddenly taken a bad turn.


Waiting for a pick-me-up

Down..hopefully not out


No comments:

Post a Comment