Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Bloody Madness

St Micheal’s

During lunch we sat by the pier, overlooking the Dun Laoghaire port, pronounced as “Dun Lareee”. As the pigeons fed on the crumbs that fell off my egg mayo sandwich, I took a deep breath of the cool sea breeze whilst enjoying both the company and the view I had.


Then reality sank in.

St Micheal’s Hospital isn’t the most exciting. Heck, it’s probably the most boring hospital in the whole of Dublin. Or maybe because I was stuck in such a boring team. It could be either

The “cool” doctors


I removed the tape from both my arms. There was no more blood flowing. The bin in the ward was full of sharps, blood stained 'toppers' and used gloves. I wasn't the only one stained with blood.

Dr James and Dr I-can’t-complete-a-sentence-without-saying-f*** allowed us to stick needles in each other in order to perfect our cannulation technique.


I got it in on my third try. Pretty decent, huh.

I couldn’t think of any other word except for ‘cool’ that would describe the demeanour of both the SHOs (senior house officer) that were with us in the empty ward.

I googled 'cool doctor' and this was what came up.


“Now don’t you be scared, it just f***ing blood. Yesterday I had to stick my hand in a f***ing artery for almost two hours while waiting for the f***ing consultant to arrive. I really thought that the patient was f***ed, but he f***ing survived,” said Dr you-know-who.

“I know you’re not supposed to do this unsupervised, but I trust you enough not to kill each other,” said Dr James

It’s too bad I’m stuck in respiratory rounds with a boring team. I would’ve loved to be under their wings even though they’re in surgical.

Cest la vie.

No comments:

Post a Comment