Monday, April 19, 2010

Monday Morning Blues

Chitty Chatter

“So how’re you getting on in oncology?” asked the fellow intern.

“Well, it’s grand like, nothing too exciting though,” answered Tom

“Yeah?”

“Well yeah, like most of the patients that come in are like f***ed to say the least,” said Tom

Death Rounds

It was Monday morning. A new day, a new week, with new resolve.

I checked my reflection in the bathroom mirror. Straightened my tie, adjusted my belt buckle and moistened my hair. I was good to go...

“Do you remember Mrs AC, the one you took an ECG from last week?” asked Tom

I gulped. Who could forget???

“Well, she passed away last night, respiratory failure,” explained Tom without really batting an eyelid as such.

Medicine ain’t for the faint hearted.

Death is a subject you simple have to deal with day in day out. She was the third patient that had died on me. And I faintly felt a twinge coming somewhere from the base of my heart.

It’s surprising at how cold you have to become in order to make it through med school. The thought of death is scary. Facing it every single day, even more so in the cancer wards doesn’t make it any more so bearable.

I whispered a silent prayer for Mrs AC. May Allah have mercy on her soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment