Monday, March 7, 2011

The Battle of James Joyce




After the ‘holiday’ in Wexford, the busy corridors of St Vincents was indeed a welcomed change. With the finals only three weeks away, one can only hope that through the process of osmosis, ie picking up the medical lingo on the wards; it will be possible to at least scrape a pass for the dreaded OSCEs.

The final stint in medicine comprises of radiology, anaesthesiology, and emergency medicine, with particular focus in the acute management of a critically ill patient.

Radiology

This is would probably be at the bottom of my list in preferred specialties. While the common stereotype of sitting in a dark room looking at X-rays the whole day isn’t entirely true, the lack of patient contact remains the primary reason why I wouldn’t be inclined to choose radiology.

The study dilemma

I usually opt to study at the James Joyce(JJ) library, which is a ten minute cycle from the hospital library.

I hate studying around medical students. They annoy me. They study too hard. They’re sub-human sub-machines.

The JJ library on the other hand is populated by students from different faculties. This means that I don’t get freaked out by people who can continuously keep their head buried in books for five, maybe six hours straight.

Hospital library = INFERIORITY COMPLEX

JJ library = SUPERIORITY COMPLEX

Intruder alert

For the past few months, it’s been a joy studying amongst mere mortals in the secluded corridors of JJ. However, last week, an intruder arrived.

She was tall, blond, and had a bag that was too big for her. The minute she took out her notes, there was no mistaking who she was. On her table lay three huge files; colour coded, containing hand written notes.

A medical student.

This had been going on for a week. It annoyed me as hell that she outlasted me each and every day.

Challenge accepted!!!

Outlast. Outplay. Who will survive?

She arrived at the same time I did, right after lectures. We exchanged cordial smiles as she sat right behind my table.

My mission was simple. I was going to outlast her. Just for the hell of it. It was 4pm.

5.30pm

I was still going strong. So was she.

6.00pm

She left for a break. I was hungry too. I grabbed a prawn sandwich and some tea. Half an hour later and she was already in her seat before I even arrived.

6.30pm

I was getting sleepy. I decided to do some light studying. Flipped through some old notes. Concentration levels were dropping.

I waited for the screen saver on my laptop so that the screen would turn black. Hence I could see her reflection and what she was doing.

She was still hard at work.

7.15pm

She yawned a few times. This might be the moment.

She got up.

Bathroom break, sigh.

8.30pm

I had given up on studying. But I wasn’t going to move until she left!

So I started checking my emails.

8.45pm

Was crazy bored. Went to the bathroom. Spent some time reading the graffiti. Hilarious!!!

Here’s a sample.


Then I went into the disabled bathroom. Kudos to the guy who did this. He labeled everything in there.

I can only shudder to imagine what he used as leverage to reach the ceiling. (click photo to enlarge)







And my favourite....



loL with a capital L

9.00pm

Returned from the bathroom. She was still at it.

9.05pm

I started to write this post.

9.20pm

It finally happened. She started packing her things. I had won.

Shut up.

No comments:

Post a Comment