Sunday, May 23, 2010

Maggot of a Man


“I’ll kidnap you, drag you up to Killarney Hill, gag you up and leave you there,”

The dressing nurse remained calm. She seemed unabated by the threats of the horrid man.

Maggot man, as I call him, has leg ulcers which have necrotized deep into his tissues. A curative approached would have been amputation of both his legs. He obviously didn’t want that.

If he was cured, Maggot Man would be liable to a court date for selling heroine. In other words, he was jail-bound barring definitive treatment of his leg ulcers.

Dr Swear-a-lot (remember him) decided to try a relatively ‘alternative’ treatment by ordering MAGGOTS imported from Wales in order to remove the necrotic tissue surrounding the borders of the ulcer.

Yup. Maggots eating away at dead tissue. And I had the wonderful opportunity of holding ‘em baby maggots as they positioned the sachets as to cover every inch of the foot ulcer. I’m not being sarcastic. It was exciting!

Sad Goodbyes

After three weeks in St Micheal’s, it was finally time to leave. What started out as a pretty mundane setting turned into one of the most educational experiences for me, and I’m sure, the rest of my group mates. The laid-back atmosphere of the whole set-up allowed more time for the doctors to hang around and actually teach us a thing or two. So adios and on to the MATER for my final rotation. Enter SURGERY.

No comments:

Post a Comment