Sunday, November 7, 2010

Worth the pain


“Doc, I couldn’t sleep last night, it was agony. The pain was just...” she broke down.

Mrs AJ was diagnosed with breast cancer a couple of years ago. It had metastasized to her bones...

Pain is something that physicians deal with all the time. A simple analgaesic can sometimes do wonders for any miserable patient in dire pain.

The WHO pain ladder is a step-wise guide designed to aid doctors in describing pain meds.


The higher up one goes, the more side effects there are. Opiods such as oxycodone or oxycontin were very good opioid analgaesics. But their side effects are nausea, addiction and in some cases respiratory depression. Given the choice between the side effect versus pain, which would you choose?

My thoughts wandered...

It was a superb through ball which sent me past the keeper. The last defender was standing between me and the goal...

Judging by the trajectory of the ball, it was 60-40 favouring me to get to it first. I knew I was quicker. I also knew that he'd give it a shot anyway.
We both lunged for the ball.

I toe poked it home.

As the ball bounced into the net his trailing leg was still coming at me in full force.
The referee blew his whistle signalling a goal. As I limped off the field, I sometimes wonder if it's ever worth the pain for a moment's glory.

Rewind to about 9 years ago. I was 14. It was a martial arts sparring competition.

I had injured my right toe in the semifinals. My opponent in the final was a real cocky guy from the east coast. He had earlier whooped my good friend whom now had a crooked nose.

My coach took out a red spray can. He sprayed it all over my toe. I suddenly felt no pain.

A minute passed in the first round. We were evenly matched. Suddenly I felt a sharp pain all over my right foot. I signalled for a timeout.

The coach again sprayed the contents of the red can all over. I felt relieved but still tender.

As far I was concerned, I was destined to lose unless I used my right leg to counter his kicks. It was hard and predictable using just my left.

Round two

He had figured out from my numerous timeouts that my right foot was useless. He had the advantage.

A minute left on the clock...

At that time it felt like I was being heroic. I managed to whack his face twice with a roundhouse kick using my right leg. It probably hurt me more than him. But it was enough.

Two months later...

I stared at the gold medal hanging by my bedside. Then I stared down at my crooked right big toe, which was still tender at times...

Was it worth the pain?

No comments:

Post a Comment